Join our new live online workshop and make longstitch bindings
This online workshop in longstitch binding teaches a traditional method of bookbinding that originates from Germany and dates back to the late 14th century. In this method, sections of paper are sewn directly through holes in the covering material, giving support to the spine, and flexibility to the book. It is a simple and extremely rewarding process and one that can be easily adapted once practiced, to include more complex designs and decorations.
We will provide materials in advance, as listed below, so that we all have the same items at the start of the workshop. We cannot provide tools, as we do at in-person workshops. The list of tools required is also below, some of these can be replaced with tools that you have at home, others may need to be purchased. When booking the course, you will also receive a 15% discount to the shop so that you can buy the tools direct from us if you choose.
We will cover:
- the importance of grain direction
- preparing a textblock
- folding and trimming paper
- preparing sections for sewing
- preparing covering material
- sewing the textblock
- finishing the cover
You will come away with:
- one beautiful A6 hand-made longstitch binding in leather
- a template to continue to make your own bindings at home
- an introduction into bookbinding
- a basic understanding of the structure of bindings
We will send you:
- Textblock paper
- Covering material
- Metal button for cover
- Template to cut and prepare the leather
- Complimentary needle and linen thread
How it works
Once you book you will receive an email containing a link to a zoom meeting and instructions on how to join that meeting. You will also receive a code for a discount in the the shop, if you would like to buy tools from us.