Artist book of prints by four artists
Fully bound in green parchment
BINDING The heavy parchment cover was damaged in several places, including a piece missing from the back-board and a frayed split down the spine. The cover was pasted onto the boards, and also either lined or placed on lined boards. The boards were warped and had heavy corner damage. Other than this they were fairly solid and reusable.
TEXTBLOCK was packed sewn, though it was mostly broken. There was heavy paper damage with tears along the spine, the edges of the book and two loose leaves. The edges were brittle throughout the book . It was extremely dirty throughout.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION There were two heavily damaged and unusable green ties.
- Mechanically cleaned throughout with a chemical sponge.
- Pulled apart the sewing, keeping the back board and final section attached together as it was part of the last section.
- Carried out paper repairs to the textblock and section folds using various appropriate Japanese tissue.
- Consolidated corners of the boards,including recreating one using layered grey board. They were left uncovered.
- Pressed the boards to flatten where possible, without humidification.
- Attached new cords to the old cords by sewing and pasting them together.
- Resewed the sections with packed sewing, using the back board as the primary section to sew from, as final section was still attached.
- Cords were laced into the boards using the original method.
- Spine backed with PaperNao K37.
- Rebacked with parchment, toned with Selaset Dyes.
- Created and attached a net pouch to preserve the green ties.