Well this week was a lot of fun, and I felt my artistic skills were well tuned in comparison to previous weeks, our designer at work has always said that if you want to be creative and have inspirational ideas, you have to practice, its not about the type of person you are, which I am inclined to believe – as the more I do, the more ideas I have.
Last night we were doing paper manipulation for the art part of the course (previous weeks have been things like mark making and colour use, which I haven’t been great at), but this one is pretty good – The man thought I’d done it from someone else’s instruction, or copied a pattern – but no – its all me! We’re meant to be doing quite a few paper ones, and then put them in a book, but I don’t think this one will work with a book, it might get squished….
I’ve also started my first big project, and with the art skills fully functional, I had some steaming ideas for sewing on the tapes to bind the book – more photos on that next week, as I was a bit behind last night, and had to get enough sewn before I left so no time for pics!
So eight weeks in and I’ve been a bit more productive. You’ll see that I now have the corners on my 1/2 bound flat back book – very neat and tidy if I do say so myself, and have finished my disappearing spine pamphlet (called as such because you can’t see the spine). The latter is covered in more National Geographic collages and the 1/2 bound will be covered in some drawings I’ve done.
Unfortunately, when I was ‘casing in’ (sticking all together) my pamphlet (with owl), our teacher was also talking about the corners of the 1/2 bound (pink). She said if we were doing what I was doing to ignore her and she’d tell us again later, but considering I was the only one doing what I was doing, I got a bit distracted by listening to her as well, and now my beautiful owl pamphlet is wonky and I’m going to have to start from scratch. Hmph. Apparently this is a good thing (???), as the marking people like to see mistakes that are practiced and then rectified, still, I like the owl and I’m not sure I’ll find such a nice cover, so I am a little disappointed. Nevermind – practice makes perfect!
My last pamphlet is bowing a little, but apparently this is absolutely fine and is very acceptable in bookbinding, so that one is alright (that was the one with the trees on the front).
Not sure if you’ll be interested, but I’m pretty excited – I have finished my first sewn book! This is a pamphlet binding, which means (I think) that it only has one section. This particular one has end papers that are wrapped around the text block and are then fixed to the boards, it’s also a 1/4 bound book meaning that only the spine is covered in cloth. I’m due to finish my other pamphlet binding in two weeks (after half term) as well as my first really proper book, which has multiple sections that are sewn together – VERY exciting, and so far looking not too bad, though the spine is a little big for comfort on the proper one.
Its quite tricky getting the covers on the boards, as you spend lots of time getting everything right and carefully doing things, then the moment you start pasting, its a race against time! – tricky! The cover is a collage I have made from an article from the National Geographic on Redwood trees.
Bookbinding is going well and is SO much fun! I’m in the process of making two pamphlet bindings and one with a dissapearing spine, and a flat back 1/2 cloth binding, which should all be finished around the same time, so I’ll be able to photograph and upload them. I think I’ll make a smaller flat back one at home as the book I am reading states that you should be making about 6 of the same thing at one to really get practice in, so might do that!