BINDING had structural stress due to large amounts of inserted material. The front board was damaged and detached from spine and sewing supports. The remaining spine was split from the front board and worn at head and tail. The first section was loose.
TEXTBLOCK paper had some tears and edge damage on first pages. Four pages had been torn out leaving stubbs remaining. The pastedown was detached along with the board, leaving an outside hook at the back of first section.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION Large amounts of inserted newspaper cuttings were protruding from the textblock causing discolouration and edge damage.
Front board brought forward
Mrs E. Neville Jackson’s Scrapbook
Cleaned throughout with chemical sponge and loose material was removed and documented.
Spine was lifted allowing reattachment of the loose first section by sewing to the spine.
The texblock and inserted material were humidified where necessary and repaired using toned tissue.
Areas of loss were infilled with a sympathetic western paper and supported with a Japanese tissue.
An article was removed and re-adhered using a hinge, as to remain in its original state would have meant later damage to the article and book.
Loose endpapers were given an outside hook and attached by pulling through the sewing supports and adhering to the spine.
Spine lined with Usumino tissue.
Front board was attached with Usumino tissue and lined up against the foredge to provide protection to the textblock.
Exposed spine area was covered in tissue toned with acrylic paints.
Hinge repair to inside of boards to support attachments.
Clam shell box with label
Open clam shell box
Plastizote supporting protruding material
Four-flap folder created to support loose inserted material
Bespoke clam shell box made to house both book and four-flap folder together, supporting the protruding material within the book by using different levels of plastizote.
Well I definitely passed a marker today, as I have finished the paper repairs for the toys scrapbook – Mrs E. Nevill Jackson’t Scrapbook from the Museum of Childhood. They have taken a long time as many of them protruded from the edges of the book, meaning they have been crushed over the years.
Some pictures of the book and its inserts before I completed the work.
In order to repair these pages, many of them had to be locally humidified first, as they were folded in on themselves, and opening up the folds without the introduction of moisture, would have broken them. I separated the local humidification from the rest of the book using melinex and effectively sectioned off a page at a time. Once humidified, they each had to be dried between blotters before I could repair them. The repairs were then done using japanese tissue (usumino) for the support and a toned thicker tissue for any infills, as can be seen in my last post.
The repaired pages…
So obviously now the inserts are much bigger than the book, as they would have been originally. In order to prevent them being crushed again, I am going to have create some sort of chemise cover to extend the boards and protect the inserts – so watch this space!!!
I’ve just spent a fabulous morning at the Museum of Childhood having a look for books for my MA project, thanks to Catherine at the museum and Jane at the V&A, I am hopefully going to be taking a book from this museum and working on it under Jane’s supervision at the V&A – very exciting!! Pictures of the chosen book will hopefully come soon!
In the meantime, I did have a peruse of the shelves in the museum itself and felt like I had stepped back in time and onto the playground at my primary school! So here are some pics if you remember any of them!
This little monster plagued my best friend for much of her youth!
I still have this doll somewhere!
And one of these, I think it’s going on eBay at some point soon…
Yesterday was my last Monday at the V&A until May – this is due to a series of varied events including some bank holidays, a two week trip to Scotland (next week!) and a two week trip to Norfolk (in about a month) and after that I will be back at the V&A.
I had hoped to get my book on four artists to a stage where it could be sewn at least, if not finished. Unfortunately, being plagued by illness this week, it was all I could do to get there and do a few hours work. Prior to getting to work I had already forgotten my tool kit and managed to fill my tank up with petrol, then realise I had also forgotten my wallet – so the day started well!
Anyway, I did manage to guard all the central sections. The first and last sections are connected to the cover by the first two leaves being pasted down to the front cover and the last two to the back cover, so these two sections will need a little more complex guarding techniques, which I will tackle on my return in May.