So I’m going to try and make these shorter and more snappy and keep everyone more excited! Last night was a manic array of different projects all fighting to be completed. Some people were ploughing, others like myself, were working on their coptic bindings and some on their rounded backs!
I managed to complete my coptic binding and cover it and start the phase box for it, but due to the manicness, I have no pictures. We will be continuing the phase box next week, so I’ll take some photos then. Its not a slip case, more of a very fancy protective envelope, which at the moment isn’t going too badly. Sadly the actual binding itself is still pretty rubbish, but I will have to practice the technique more.
I do have the attached picture to interest you, which is a little snippet my lovely sister sent me, which she found whilst researching for her studies. It’s from the London Journal Ladies Supplement and she thinks dates back to around the 1880’s – I rather like it!
Afternoon All! Yesterday I nearly completed my coptic binding, which I have to say, is an atrocious contribution to such a nice form of binding. I managed to rip several sheets whilst trying to tighten the threads, which needless to say, failed anyway! I also found that I have been linking the sections using a kettle stitch instead of a chain stitch, which looks extremely messy – the chain stitch being much more attractive and simple, in addition, my kettle stitches were messy anyway – as I say – a poor contribution
This is the final article without a cover
My mid lesson apple was interestingly decorated!
Tuesday seemed to mark the completion of all sorts of things – my unit one stuff, which was lots of art work and paper manipulation, the handing in of all my work to date to be assessed (phew!) and a presentation that I was doing with two other people in the class. So as you can imagine, it was a huge relief to have it all completed! I have now handed in all my work so far, and don’t have too much left to do, except finish my project 2 (Journey to the Centre of the Earth) and make a box for it.
As well as all of the above, we also started work on our Coptic Bindings, which we are filling with the manipulated paper we have made for unit 1 – you can see some of these in the images attached and the start of the binding – an extraordinarily complex way of sewing, that involves a needle for every hole! – 4 in this case!!!
Unfortunately, the sections in this binding are only made of two sheets, so it is quite easy to rip the sheets when you tighten the sewing, as you will see in the picture above – again, practice makes perfect!
At points over the last few weeks, my skills have dealt me some shoddy hands, leaving me somewhat depressed with my accomplishments. In most cases I am generally worrying a bit too much as I would ideally like these things to be perfect.
HOWEVER… this was not the case last night. Last night part of my delightful book (Journey to the Centre of the Earth) was ruined. Ruined by me some stages back in the process of making it. Our tutor has told us many times that you must get the sewing right in order to make the book well. This is what I found I had failed on.
Although my sewing was neat – you may remember the pictures – it was too tight. This meant that when I came to ’round’ it yesterday, there was not enough give or ‘swell’ to allow the book to bend. The rounding is done with a hammer, which is glanced across the spine whilst it is in the press. This pushes the spine either side of the center, giving the books its rounded spine. The foredge then also has a curve, which you will see in many old hardback books. Due to my tight sewing and no swell, my rounded book now remains somewhat flat backed, and is a huge dissapointment to me.
On top of this, I also glanced the spine too close to the tail, meaning that I mucked up one of the sections in the middle of the book. You can see in the picture the middle section has buckled. Our tutor saw this as more of a problem than my rounding, but I have to say I am sadder about the latter, as I feel I can improve on the buckling.
Well practice makes perfect I suppose.
This is a coptic binding sheet I made last night whilst waiting for the press. It will go alonside the spider looking one that I did a long time back.