C&G Week 15 | Casing-in a flat back binding

Yesterday was a good day, we didn’t have the board to start the slip cases, so the evening was a catch up evening – giving me the chance to finish my Flat back binding, which I managed and is now complete. This was the one I sent an image of some time back showing the card and the pink cloth on the spine and corners.

Well to finish it, I covered it in paper which I had made from the art part of the course, and then had to ‘case it in’. This you have to do fairly quickly – its covering the end paper with glue and sticking the text block onto the boards. This however is also the part which most easily goes wrong. Unfortunately due to it being the VERY last thing you do, it is also the most disastrous if it DOES go wrong, as you have to start from scratch! Things that could go wrong would be the skew-whiffing of the text block and misaligning it completely, or possibly over gluing, which might mean the covers bend or the glue seeps through the end-paper, or you don’t dry it properly and it goes through the rest of the book, as C&Ds did. All of which you can do nothing about! Luckily, this was my most successful gluing yet, and I am thrilled to bits!

C&G Week 10 | Paper Manipulation

Well this week was a lot of fun, and I felt my artistic skills were well tuned in comparison to previous weeks, our designer at work has always said that if you want to be creative and have inspirational ideas, you have to practice, its not about the type of person you are, which I am inclined to believe – as the more I do, the more ideas I have. 

Last night we were doing paper manipulation for the art part of the course (previous weeks have been things like mark making and colour use, which I haven’t been great at), but this one is pretty good – The man thought I’d done it from someone else’s instruction, or copied a pattern – but no – its all me! We’re meant to be doing quite a few paper ones, and then put them in a book, but I don’t think this one will work with a book, it might get squished….  

I’ve also started my first big project, and with the art skills fully functional, I had some steaming ideas for sewing on the tapes to bind the book – more photos on that next week, as I was a bit behind last night, and had to get enough sewn before I left so no time for pics!

C&G Week 7 | Starting with Pamphlet Binding

Not sure if you’ll be interested, but I’m pretty excited – I have finished my first sewn book! This is a pamphlet binding, which means (I think) that it only has one section. This particular one has end papers that are wrapped around the text block and are then fixed to the boards, it’s also a 1/4 bound book meaning that only the spine is covered in cloth. I’m due to finish my other pamphlet binding in two weeks (after half term) as well as my first really proper book, which has multiple sections that are sewn together – VERY exciting, and so far looking not too bad, though the spine is a little big for comfort on the proper one.  

Its quite tricky getting the covers on the boards, as you spend lots of time getting everything right and carefully doing things, then the moment you start pasting, its a race against time! – tricky!   The cover is a collage I have made from an article from the National Geographic on Redwood trees.

Single Section Pamphlet Binding